- All this happened, more or less. The war parts, anyway, are pretty much true.
- Any reviewer who expresses rage and loathing for a novel is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.
- Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be.
- Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before.
- Call me Jonah. My parents did, or nearly did. They called me John.
- Here we are, trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.
- Human beings will be happier – not when they cure cancer or get to Mars or eliminate racial prejudice or flush Lake Erie but when they find ways to inhabit primitive communities again. That’s my utopia.
- I really wonder what gives us the right to wreck this poor planet of ours.
* Kurt Vonnegut