* Eroticism has its own moral justification because it says that pleasure is enough for me; it is a statement of the individual’s sovereignty.
* If you are killed because you are a writer, that’s the maximum expression of respect, you know.
* It isn’t true that convicts live like animals: animals have more room to move around.
* No matter how ephemeral it is, a novel is something, while despair is nothing.
* Prosperity or egalitarianism – you have to choose. I favor freedom – you never achieve real equality anyway: you simply sacrifice prosperity for an illusion.
* There is an incompatibility between literary creation and political activity.
* Writing a book is a very lonely business. You are totally cut off from the rest of the world, submerged in your obsessions and memories.
Author: Mario Vargas Llosa